Compare and contrast essays are those that their purpose is to analyze the difference and similarities of two distinct subjects. It is one that uses good points about a subject to make a meaningful argument about the subjects. It is also important to note that these subjects must be in similar categories.
The thought might be that these types of essays are difficult because it involves two different subjects being brought together, critically analyzed and then compared together both their similarities and differences. The availability of college essay writing service can help to give you ideas on how to write a compare and contrast essay. They also provide sample essays to serve as a guide to you.
What is a compare and contrast essay?
A compare and contrast essay is one that tends to see the similarities and differences between two different theories, ideas or things. To compare means to look at the similarities while contrasting is to know the differences between these two things.
Purpose of a compare and contrast essay;
The structure of a compare and contrast essay is not different from the other types of essays. It consists of an introduction, thesis statement, body of essay and conclusion.
- Introduction: The introductory paragraph should introduce the two subjects to the readers. Then it should give a brief background on both of them in relation to the main body of the essay.
- Thesis statement: The thesis statement is more like a summary of what is expected in your essay. It should give an idea about both subjects to be discussed and the unique features about them.
- Body of essay: The body of essay should consist of approximately three to four paragraphs. This is where you will broadly discuss the similarities and then the differences or vice versa on the subjects. You can decide to place emphasis on one subject first before going to the second subject. Then each paragraph should contain a different point and ensure that each point is supported with relevant research.
Conclusion: In the conclusion you briefly summarize the similarities and differences and also draw up the main points together emphasizing how they support your thesis statement. Conclusions are very important aspects of an essay because it is the last process of telling your readers a convincing and affirmative story.
Steps to write a compare and contrast essay:
Here is the step by step guide on how to write a good compare and contrast essay.
- Choose your subjects: The first step towards a successful compare and contrast essay is to choose two topics that are worth comparing with a ton load of similarities and differences. They must be different but should fall under the same category. Here are some useful tips to consider when choosing your subject.
- You can choose two subjects in the same category but have differences and are significant in a way.
- You can choose subjects that appear the same but are actually different.
- Subjects chosen by you could be those that don’t have anything in common but an important similarity.
- Explore the similarities and differences: Research on the two subjects, this means looking for similarities, differences and making a draft of it.
- Develop a thesis statement: After a draft of similarities and differences, it will make you to begin understanding the relationship between these subjects. This will allow you to develop a good thesis statement. Making a meaningful argument that gives an explanation why it is important to compare and contrast the two subjects together.
- Write an outline: Create an outline that of cause follows the standard format which is the introductory paragraph, body paragraph and conclusion. The outline will serve as a guide throughout your essay write-up.
- Write your essay: From your written outline above, you can go ahead to write your essay. First of all start with the introduction which could contain your thesis statement then next; your body paragraph follows where your subject similarities and differences are explained. Finally you can conclude with a summary of what you have written.
- Proofread and Edit: This step cannot be skipped or avoided as proofreading and editing is very important.
- College essay writing services are there online to help you proofread and edit your work. Also family members, friends can be of help in proofreading your work. Proofreading helps you check your work for grammatical and spelling errors. It also ensures that your work is written in a logical sequence. After proofreading you can now edit your work and make a final draft of your finished compare and contrast essay.